Some uses and disclosures of your medical information can be made only with your written authorization, unless otherwise permitted or required by law. You may revoke this authorization anytime, in writing, unless Tanager Place relies on the use or disclosure indicated in the authorization.
Examples of those uses and disclosures that may only be made with your written authorization:
- We will obtain your authorization for categories of uses and disclosures of your health information that are not described in this Notice
- Tanager Place will disclose AIDS or HIV-related information, or substance abuse treatment information only with written authorization as required by applicable state law and/or federal regulations unless the law expressly permits otherwise.
- Tanager Place will provide mental health information only if you have signed an authorization consistent with Iowa law.
- Tanager Place will disclose separately maintained psychotherapy notes only with a specific authorization signed by you or your legal representatives.
- Tanager Place will not use or disclose your protected health information for marketing purposes without your authorization. Moreover, if we will receive any financial remuneration from a third party in connection with marketing, we will tell you that in the authorization form.
If you provide authorization for the disclosure of your health information, you may revoke it at any time by giving us notice in accordance with other Tanager Place ‘s authorization policy. Your revocation will not be effective for uses and disclosures made in reliance on your prior authorization.
Prohibition Against Selling Protected Health Information
Tanager Place will not directly or indirectly receive any payment or other remuneration in exchange for any PHI unless we receive a valid authorization that includes a specification of whether the PHI can be further exchanged for remuneration by the entity receiving PHI. The prohibition against selling PHI will not apply if the purpose of the transaction is for:
- providing a patient with a copy of his/her medical record
- public health activities
- research, but only if the price charged reflects the costs of preparation and transmittal of the data for such purpose
- treatment of the individual, subjected to any regulation that the Secretary may promulgate to prevent PHI from inappropriate access, use, or disclosure
- health care operations associated with the sale, transfer, merger, or consolidation of all or part of Tanager Place
- payment provided by Tanager Place to a Business Associate pursuant to a legitimate Business Associate services contract or arrangement
- any other purpose approved by the Secretary of Health and Human Services